Follow Us on Facebook:

Sligo Adventist School

8300 Carroll Avenue Takoma Park, MD 20912 Phone: (301) 434-1417 Fax: (301) 434-4680

Contact SAS

Child Development Center

 

Important Links
Events

Oct 6 - Teacher PD- cancelled                                     NO SCHOOL

 

Oct 11  - SAS Day at Sligo Church

 

Oct 13 - Columbus Day                                                 SCHOOL OPEN

 

Oct 23 - Pastors Appreciation &                                  Make-Up Picture Day 

 

Oct 24 - End of 1st Quarter

 

Oct 30 -  Bible Bowl

 

Oct 31 - Potomac Conference Teacher                 Professional Development                               NO SCHOOL 

 


 

 

Where Minds Are Challenged . . .

 

. . .and Individuality Respected

What We Do

Welcome to the Sligo Adventist School Web site. If you are looking for a school for your child, we hope the information provided here will help you make the decision to choose our school.

Sligo Adventist School is a private parochial co-educational elementary school located in Takoma Park, Maryland. It offers a comprehensive program for children ages 2½ through 8th grade. Belonging to the largest Protestant school system in the world, Sligo Adventist School is operated by the Sligo Seventh-day Adventist Church that ministers to a membership drawn from over 80 countries. Our diversity offers rich possibilities for broad friendships and cultural experiences within the context of Adventist Christian education and fellowship.

Mission

Our mission is to provide a relevant Christ-centered education that fosters an environment of Spiritual Growth, Academic Excellence and Personal Accountability.

Our teachers also reflect diverse backgrounds. Several have lived and taught in other countries. Each teacher and administrator is certified by the North American Division of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. Fifty percent possess one or more advanced degrees.

History
Sligo Adventist School was founded in 1917 by Washington Missionary College (now known as Washington Adventist University) as a practice school for elementary teachers. The school was located on the college campus. By the late 1950s the school had outgrown its space in Richards Hall. Grades 7 and 8 were moved to Takoma Academy and plans were laid for construction of a larger facility on land right next door to Takoma Academy. Ground was broken on September 22, 1963 and school started in the new building on Carroll Avenue in September 1964. The school was dedicated debt-free on February 25, 1967.

Built to accommodate 350 students, 390 students walked through the doors in the school’s first year of operation. It was a harbinger of things to come. Plans were soon after laid for an addition to the original structure to accommodate the growing enrollment. The addition of 4 classrooms, a music room, art room, and the area consisting of the library and the space below was completed in January 1973.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sligo Adventist School 8300 Carroll Avenue Takoma Park, MD 20912

Telephone 301-434-1417 Fax 301-434-4680

Copyright © 2006-2008 Sligo Adventist School| All rights reserved